Sunday, November 20, 2011

Appliqué cover up

I took a little break from "The Raven" theme since I knew how I wanted to do Athena was gonna be a bit of a doozy.

I wanted to put the two wrist tattoos I have on the shirt somehow. One is 'know thyself' in Greek and the other is a Leo symbol. Well, painting them was a hot fucking mess. I tried to clean up the crap paint job I did and it just made it worse.
I know it's a practice t shirt where it's OK to fuck up, but I was not even close to OK with what I did. How to fix this? I figured on two quick and dirty appliqué techniques.

The red skull fabric was where I attempted the Leo symbol. So to fix it I sewed the fabric on the backside on if the sleeve and then cut away on the inside if the stitching so the red fabric would be exposed.
On the part where I did the squares was where I attempted the Greek part. On that one I just cut out little squares, of skull fabric of course, and overlapped them over where I wanted to cover. You can either roll under a hem on each square or leave them raw like I did.  You can see some of the paint where I boo boo'ed in blue.

So if you have a spot on your shirt that won't come out, try these two easy techniques!

No comments:

Post a Comment