Monday, November 14, 2011

Edgar Allen Poe painted stencil how-to (sort of how-to lol)

Continuing with the Raven theme I decided to do Mr. Poe himself. But how? Since I'm not that great at drawing I scoured the internet and came across this beauty.

by iamwickedstupid
I cut out the stencil on posterboard (since I had it laying around) with an X-Acto knife starting at his eyes. While cutting it I made sure I had a self-healing mat so I don't cut through anything I didn't want to. If you don't have a self-healing mat then a thick piece of corrugated cardboard will suffice (you can get it for free from the grocery store!). Make sure you turn the piece as you need it.   Here's the stencil...
The only point of caution is to watch out for thin spots, especially if you use paper-y type stuff for the stencil.

You can reinforce the thin spots with tape.
 Just make sure you slide the stencil around horizontally and don't hold it vertically if you have thin spots in your stencil as it will cause it to tear.

Now that I had it all positioned and taped in place I whipped out my fabric paint and fabric brush (don't use brushes for regualr art as they are too weak. Fabric brushes are stiff and deliver the paint to the fabric a lot better. (If you don't have a fabric brush, then you can use a sponge brush, or even a make-up sponge.) I used Polymark Bright Red Shiny dimensional fabric paint.  I started dobbing the paint around the edges of the stencil.

Once you have the paint down around the edges of the stencil you can lift it off the fabric.

And fill in the rest. If you think you're too sloppy then you can leave the stencil on, but make sure you lift it off as soon as you're done!
Finished product!

1 comment:

  1. Original artist here. I love the tutorial, but I thought I would put in my two cents. This bit of advice may not help with this particular project (especially since I'm two years late on commenting here), but you may find it useful in the future.
    When I made my stencil, I used a transparency sheet. A lot of schools are phasing out overhead projectors for SmartBoards, and I happened to be at the right place at the right time to grab a bunch of transparency sheets. What I did was paste a printed copy of Mr. Poe to one of the sheets and then cut it out.
    The benefit of using a sheet of plastic like this is that the thin spot at the neck couldn't tear. With a bit of abuse it probably would have warped and could have snapped off.
    I also sprayed the backside of my stencil (the side against the fabric) with a temporary adhesive so that the stencil couldn't shift around on me.
    Cheers!
    -Jake

    ReplyDelete